TEACHER SPOTLIGHT: Meet Eleni Kokkinos
Eleni is our amazing Adult Glee Club Music Director and Vocal teacher. She’s based at our Marrickville HQ studios and in between running a choir and teaching our students, she also co-ordinates and books entertainment and musicians into various nursing homes through her Songbird Serenade business.
So let’s get up close and personal with the fabulous Eleni Kokkinos!
1. WHAT IS ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?
Riding across the Nullabar Plains on my motorbike
2. WHAT QUOTE DO YOU LIVE BY?
Everything is nothing and nothing is everything
3. WHAT IS THE ONE THING PEOPLE WOULD BE SURPRISED TO KNOW ABOUT YOU?
I used to be an apprentice motor mechanic as a teenager
4. WHAT WAS OR IS YOUR GREATEST MUSICAL MOMENT?
Singing the national anthem at the World Rugby Tri-nations Game, Australia vs. South Africa
5. WHICH ARTIST OR STYLE OF MUSIC HAS BEEN MOST INFLUENTIAL IN YOUR MUSIC CAREER?
Michael Jackson. In particular the album ‘Off the Wall’
6. WHAT INSTRUMENTS CAN YOU PLAY OR HAVE LEARNT?
Vocals, Piano, some bass guitar and started alto and tenor saxophone
7. HAVE YOU EVER RECORDED AN ALBUM OR EP?
Yes with Sisco Electro and The Cashmere Revolution
8. WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT TEACHING MUSIC?
Watching people dig deep and reach their goals
9. BESIDES TEACHING MUSIC, WHERE DO YOU SEE YOUR MUSIC TAKING YOU IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS?
Being the number one entertainment providers for nursing homes in Australia
10. WHAT IS YOUR ETHNICITY OR CULTURAL BACKGROUND?
Born in Adelaide by Greek immigrant parents
11. WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO SYDNEY?
The sunset. The most beautiful city in Australia was calling me
12. DO YOU DO OTHER THINGS OTHER THAN MUSIC?
Roller skating and riding my motorbike
13. IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON AN ISLAND, WHAT 5 THINGS COULD YOU NOT LIVE WITHOUT?
My hair clippers, sunscreen, coffee, my pet rabbit and my spirit boots
14. WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO MEET AND WHY?
Sia – I find her and her music inspirational